Sign up for my Weekly Tips on a Tuesday (and get a free guide)>> Click here

Two landlords prosecuted on gas safety

gas fireIts good to see that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is bringing a few cases against landlords who flout the gas regulations.

Here are two cases from the Destin Private Sector Tenancies case law digest – authored by Jan Luba.

Health and Safety Executive v Khalid Hussein – Walsall Magistrates Court – November 2011

In this case the gas boiler broke down in January 2011.  Despite having an improvement notice served on him requiring him to produce a gas safety certificate for the gas installations in the house by May 2011, landlord Khalid Hussein did not take action until October.

When an engineer finally arrived to do the work, found the gas cooker to be dangerous and had to isolate it.  A certificate was finally produced in October.

After pleading guilty to section 33(1)(g) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and regulation 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Hussein was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,000.

The case is reported on the HSE website here.

Health and Safety Executive v Long – City of London Magistrates Court – December 2011

This was an extremely serious case, which it is clear from the report on the HSE website, could easily have been fatal

City of London Magistrates’ Court heard that on 4 March 2009 ambulance and fire crews were called to an address in Elgin Road, Croydon, where they found several people suffering flu-like symptoms and dizziness. One tenant thought he was having a heart attack.

Five residents were taken from the property, belonging to landlord James Long, to Princess Royal University hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Three needed to be transferred to Whipps Cross hospital for specialist hyperbaric treatment.

A subsequent HSE investigation found that:

  • there was no landlord’s gas safety certificate;
  • the gas hob, boiler and flue had not been inspected by a qualified gas engineer; and
  • the carbon monoxide was coming from a gas boiler in the cellar. Gas engineers found a taped-up air vent in the cellar.

After pleading guilty to breaching regulation 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Long was fined an eye popping but entirely justified £24,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,000.

(See also the comments area below and >> click here to read our terms of use and comments policy)

Important note. If you are reading an old post, remember that the law may have changed since it was written.

Landlord LawLandlord Law exists to give help & support to landlords

To find out more and the Seven Free Services you can use on Landlord Law RIGHT NOW!

>> Click Here

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.



About the post author:

Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is a lawyer and specialises in creating products and services which help landlords and letting agents learn and understand landlord & tenant law. For example, she runs the Landlord Law website (now in its 14th year) and is a director of Easy Law Training Ltd and Your Law Store. Tessa also sits on the Property Redress Scheme Council. When not working she enjoys reading, cooking and messing around on the computer. You can also find her on Google

The Landlord Law Blog from Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is an English lawyer specialising in residential landlord and tenant law.

Legal Services

Legal services are provided via Tessa's online service Landlord Law. Some advice services are provided by Tessa, other legal services are provided by specialist housing firm Anthony Gold.


The purpose of this blog is to provide information, comment and discussion. Although Tessa, or guest bloggers, may from time to time, give helpful comments to readers' questions, these can only be based on the information given by the reader in his or her comment, which may not contain all material facts. Any comments or suggestions provided by Tessa or any guest bloggers should not therefore be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified lawyer regarding any actual legal issue or dispute.

Nothing on this website should be construed as legal advice or perceived as creating a lawyer-client relationship (apart from the Fast Track block clinic service - so far as the questioners only are concerned).

Guest bloggers

Please note that any opinion expressed by a guest blogger is his or hers alone, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Tessa Shepperson, or the other writers on this blog.

Other websites from Tessa

Lodger Landlord | Google+ | Your Law Store | How to Evict Your Tenant website | the Which Tenancy Agreement Guide | Landlords Tips | Tenants Tips | Landlord Law Store