Sign up for my Weekly Tips on a Tuesday (and get a free guide)>> Click here

Problems about renting to under age tenants

baby tenantI get asked sometimes about renting to tenants who are under 18. You need to be careful here as minors (people under 18) are legally incapable of owning ‘an estate in land’.

What happens therefore if they sign a tenancy agreement in their name?

This is decided by an act called the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996, which says that a conveyance of land (which is what a tenancy agreement actually is) will operate as a deed of trust.

  • If the deed is in the name of the minor and someone of full age, it will operate to create a deed of trust with that person being the trustee
  • If the deed however is in the sole name of the minor as tenant, then it will operate to make the landlord the trustee.

It is not a good idea for the landlord to be the trustee as it will then make it harder for him to end the tenancy.

Cases law where the landlord was the trustee

In a case in 2009 called Alexander-David v Hammersmith & Fulham LBC, the Court of Appeal held that a landlord cannot serve a notice to quit on a minor tenant where the landlord is the trustee as this would be a breach of trust. The correct course of action is for the landlord to apply to court for the trust to be ended, and THEN serve the notice.

However what happens after the tenant turns 18? A recent county court case, Croydon LBC v Tando, discussed on the Nearly Legal site, takes a look at this.

What the court decided was that the trust continues and therefore still needs to be ended before the landlord can serve notice to end the tenancy.  Even though the tenant will then be of full age and capable of owning a tenancy.

So the message to landlords is that they should NEVER grant a tenancy to an under age tenant in his or her sole name.

What landlords should do

If you want to grant a tenancy to someone underage, ALWAYS have an adult named on the tenancy agreement as a co tenant

Once the minor turns 18 you can then get them to sign a tenancy agreement in their own name

If you have any properties let to tenants in their sole name at a time when they were under 18, get them to sign a new tenancy agreement as soon as possible.

(See also the comments area below and >> click here to read our terms of use and comments policy)

Important note. If you are reading an old post, remember that the law may have changed since it was written.

Landlord LawLandlord Law exists to give help & support to landlords

To find out more and the Seven Free Services you can use on Landlord Law RIGHT NOW!

>> Click Here

One Response to Problems about renting to under age tenants

  1. A couple of weeks ago I had an underaged tenant illegaly evicted by her landlady. I wonder what offence had been comitted there. Had the landlady theoretically evicted herself on paper I wonder?



About the post author:

Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is a lawyer and specialises in creating products and services which help landlords and letting agents learn and understand landlord & tenant law. For example, she runs the Landlord Law website (now in its 14th year) and is a director of Easy Law Training Ltd and Your Law Store. Tessa also sits on the Property Redress Scheme Council. When not working she enjoys reading, cooking and messing around on the computer. You can also find her on Google

The Landlord Law Blog from Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is an English lawyer specialising in residential landlord and tenant law.

Legal Services

Legal services are provided via Tessa's online service Landlord Law. Some advice services are provided by Tessa, other legal services are provided by specialist housing firm Anthony Gold.


The purpose of this blog is to provide information, comment and discussion. Although Tessa, or guest bloggers, may from time to time, give helpful comments to readers' questions, these can only be based on the information given by the reader in his or her comment, which may not contain all material facts. Any comments or suggestions provided by Tessa or any guest bloggers should not therefore be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified lawyer regarding any actual legal issue or dispute.

Nothing on this website should be construed as legal advice or perceived as creating a lawyer-client relationship (apart from the Fast Track block clinic service - so far as the questioners only are concerned).

Guest bloggers

Please note that any opinion expressed by a guest blogger is his or hers alone, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Tessa Shepperson, or the other writers on this blog.

Other websites from Tessa

Lodger Landlord | Google+ | Your Law Store | How to Evict Your Tenant website | the Which Tenancy Agreement Guide | Landlords Tips | Tenants Tips | Landlord Law Store