Sign up for my Weekly Tips on a Tuesday (and get a free guide)>> Click here

Can my tenants claim against me for this water damage?

Sandra1Here is a question to the blog clinic from Didi regarding damage to tenants possessions, answered by David Smith:

I am a landlady of a house which is converted into two flats, one on the top and the other on the bottom.

In March this year there was a bad leak from the top flat into the one below but went undetected for a whole week because the downstairs tenants were away. It caused a lot of damage, the ceiling in one of the bedrooms collapsed all over the tenant’s things.

The leak was found to be from a pipe within a wall which fed the shower, it was totally unforeseen and apparently very difficult to trace.

I have had all the damage repaired through my insurance, but the tenants of the bottom flat are asking for compensation. I initially offered them one month free rent (£775) but they want £5000 for damage to personal effects, stress and inconvenience. They have admitted that they do not have any of their own contents insurance.

They have sent me a list of items they claim have been damaged beyond repair and have them all in black bin bags for inspection. I cannot quantify the value of the items they are claiming and cannot possibly agree with their estimation.

The situation has now been made worse by the tenants not paying their rent, with the one rent free I have already offered, their arrears will exceed two months soon.

If I decide to litigate, will the tenants have any recourse if I don’t meet their demands?

Liability for tenants possessions

In general terms if there was a leak from one of your properties into another one then you are liable for the damage to the property and to their possessions due to the provisions of the Defective Premises Act.

The fact that they do not have insurance is not really relevant I am afraid as they are not obliged to claim on it. Even if they did have insurance and made a claim the likelihood is that the insurance company would seek to recover all the money they paid out from you anyway.

Your only real defence is that they have made the situation worse by being away and not reporting the leak. However, going away for a week is unlikely to be seen as unreasonable so this is not a strong position.

The tenants cannot refuse to pay the rent but they are entitled to compensation.

Options for repossession

Any claim you make for possession on rent arrears grounds will probably be met by a counterclaim for compensation and this will terminate your claim.

I would suggest you seek to come to a settlement with these tenants urgently and then consider whether you wish to remove them on another basis, perhaps using a section 21 notice.

Picture kindly provided by Sandra Savage-Fisher of QuaLETy

(See also the comments area below and >> click here to read our terms of use and comments policy)

Important note. If you are reading an old post, remember that the law may have changed since it was written.

Landlord LawLandlord Law exists to give help & support to landlords

To find out more and the Seven Free Services you can use on Landlord Law RIGHT NOW!

>> Click Here

2 Responses to Can my tenants claim against me for this water damage?

  1. Hmmm, so, if all else fails, then attempt to remove the problem/tenants by other means.

    Considering the news lately with tenants facing evictions for merely reporting defects/repairs, this last bit of advice from the blog here is rather careless.

    For sure, they shouldn’t withhold rent, but to respond with a NTQ is terribly over-reactive.

  2. Is this not covered under the insurance for the flat?

    What would happen if the tenant wasn’t hers but an owner or someone else’s tenant? The property/personal effects would still be damaged



About the post author:

David Smith

David Smith is a solicitor and a partner at Anthony Gold solicitors. He specialises in housing law, in particular HMO and tenancy deposit issues. You can also find him on Google

The Landlord Law Blog from Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is an English lawyer specialising in residential landlord and tenant law.

Legal Services

Legal services are provided via Tessa's online service Landlord Law. Some advice services are provided by Tessa, other legal services are provided by specialist housing firm Anthony Gold.


The purpose of this blog is to provide information, comment and discussion. Although Tessa, or guest bloggers, may from time to time, give helpful comments to readers' questions, these can only be based on the information given by the reader in his or her comment, which may not contain all material facts. Any comments or suggestions provided by Tessa or any guest bloggers should not therefore be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified lawyer regarding any actual legal issue or dispute.

Nothing on this website should be construed as legal advice or perceived as creating a lawyer-client relationship (apart from the Fast Track block clinic service - so far as the questioners only are concerned).

Guest bloggers

Please note that any opinion expressed by a guest blogger is his or hers alone, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Tessa Shepperson, or the other writers on this blog.

Other websites from Tessa

Lodger Landlord | Google+ | Your Law Store | How to Evict Your Tenant website | the Which Tenancy Agreement Guide | Landlords Tips | Tenants Tips | Landlord Law Store