How would you like to have reliable legal support at your fingertips – without the expense and bother of having to use solicitors or letting agents?
Avoid Problems and Prosecutions
Renting property sounds like an easy way to make money but experienced landlords know better. There is a massive amount of regulation – and new laws are coming out all the time.
For example, Local Authorities are increasingly bringing prosecutions against landlords who breach the management regulations which apply to shared properties (plus they have new powers to impose expensive penalty charges), and the rules for evicting tenants under the ‘no fault’ section 21 procedure is getting more and more complicated all the time (and is dependent now on you serving the right documents at the start of the tenancy).
It’s not enough now, just to be a nice person trying to do your best for your tenants. You need to know what the pitfalls are and how to avoid them. You need proper procedures and reliable information.
Imagine if you had
- Somewhere you could go, 24/7, to find out what the law is and what you need to do to comply with it.
- Somewhere you could get professionally drafted notices, letters and forms – which you can use right now.
- Somewhere you could ask quick questions about YOUR problem and get an answer, usually within 24 hours (or even quicker).
This would mean
- There would be less to go wrong
- You would have answers for ‘know it all’ tenants
- You would have peace of mind
My Solution to Help Landlords
For many years I worked as a solicitor advising and acting for landlords. I came to realise that there were many legal issues where landlords were ignorant of the law.
There are many things you won’t want pay solicitors for – but which (if you get them wrong) could cause major problem later. Even if they didn’t, most decent landlords want to comply with the law and be proud of the good service they provide.
In 2001 when the internet was still young, I trialled a low-cost solution – a website where landlords could access online legal help. As a specialist solicitor and author I was well placed to do this.
The site was an immediate success and I have developed it further over the years. Landlord Law members love Landlord Law and some have been with me for ten years or more.
But can it help YOU?
Many landlords worry about using this sort of service. For example, common questions (with my answers) include
- “I can’t afford it” – Landlord Law membership usually works out at between £0.65 and £0.49 pence per day
- “I don’t understand computers” – the site is designed to be easy to use and most members find it straightforward. If you have a problem, we have a support system where you can request help – normally you will get a response within 24 hours, often sooner.
- “I don’t have time to read long legal articles” – for most topics, we have short legal ‘FAQ’ and the whole site is written in a ‘plain English’ style. Plus you can ask ‘quick questions’ in the member’s forum
Why is Landlord Law different?
It is written and managed by me, Tessa Shepperson
- I practiced as a specialist landlord & tenant solicitor for over 23 years and ran my own law firm until September 2013
- I am a professional writer and am known for my ‘easy to understand’ writing style
- I answer members forum questions personally, usually within 24 hours
- The Landlord Law tenancy agreements have been written by me, in consultation with Landlord Law members and are not available (in their most recent form) anywhere else
But don’t take my word for it
Here are some comments from Landlord Law members:
“I am helped enormously by being a member of LandlordLaw. Once I’ve paid my annual membership fee I can draw up my own tenancy agreements online for no extra charge. I’ve been a member for 16 years and I have found it well worth the annual fee even though for most of that time I’ve been letting only one property.” Eleanor Chandler, Landlord
“Landlord Law is a fantastic service that mixes a much-needed legal service with the modern world. Thank God walking into a lawyer’s office isn’t the only solution” (Name and address provided)
“The Landlord Law service is excellent, very easy and straight forward to use and gives people who don’t know where to start the confidence to become a landlord on their own”. Charlotte, London
Two more Landlord Law Members discuss the service on camera
So what is Landlord Law?
Landlord Law is a website designed help you understand your legal obligations and provide online help and documentation so you can save money by doing things yourself without making expensive mistakes
Our information will help you manage your rented property from start to finish. Including:
- The legal rules regarding the condition of your property – including landlords repairing obligations and the various health and safety regulations such as gas and electricity
- How to check applicants properly to make sure they will be a good match for your property (probably the single most important aspect of renting property is to get a good tenant) – plus guidance on the Right to Rent rules
- The little-known consumer law protection rules – these apply to you and may give your tenant the right (for example) to cancel the tenancy early if you have breached the rules, for example by providing misleading information
- Information about agents – how to choose an agent and what to do if you need to end your agreement with your agent (including the vexed question of continuing commission after cancellation)
- The different types of tenancy – how this affects your rights and the tenancy agreement you need to use – plus we have a very wide selection of tenancy agreements for you to use (you can use as many as you like during your membership period)
- Shared Properties – these will normally be classed as an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) – we have extensive information on HMOs, the rules which apply and have tenancy agreements you can use
- Problem tenants – we have a whole section dealing with rent arrears and have extensive guidance on eviction of tenants (+plus members only)
Here are some special services
Landlord Law is too big for us to be able to cover everything here, but these are some special services which members find particularly helpful:
- The Landlord Law Tenancy Agreements – we have a wide selection for all types of (residential) tenancy including tenancies for a room in a shared house, agreements where the landlord pays the bills (with landlord protection from tenants running up the bills built in), separate agreements for England and Wales, plus special forms for guarantees, renewals and our ‘pets form’ to use if you allow pets in your property
- The Rent Arrears Action Plan – detailed guidance from the first day your tenant fails to pay rent, with draft letters, checklists, notices and forms.
- Landlord Law ‘trails’ – question and answer sections where you are led to the correct solution for your situation. Trails include
- ‘Which Tenancy Agreement’,
- ‘Which Possession Proceedings’.
- the ‘Tenancy Deposit Compliance Checker’ and
- the ‘Section 21 Guide’.
- Video content (+plus members only) – this includes:
- Landlord Law Conference talks
- The Cleanup Videos (guidance on the proper way to clean a rented property)
- Eviction hearings talk from Martyn Ashley Taylor
- The Eviction DIY Guide (+plus members only) – step by step guidance on bringing a standard eviction claim in the County Court.
What we don’t include
Landlord Law is pretty comprehensive on legal guidance but we don’t cover everything. In particular, we don’t deal with
- Tax or financial issues (such as mortgage advice)
- Conveyancing or other issues relating to the purchase of property – Landlord Law deals with the legal rules once you have your property and are acting as landlord
- Long lease properties (ie over 7 years fixed term) as these operate under a different legal system
- Properties outside England & Wales, UK. In particular, we do not cover Scotland or Northern Ireland which have different legal systems.
One to one support
Landlord Law is essentially a ‘do it yourself’ service although it does include one to one advice (for those quick questions) via our Members forum area.
There is a separate paid for telephone advice service, where for an extra fee you can have a telephone advice call with either myself or one of the solicitors at Anthony Gold – a ‘Legal 500’ firm which is associated with Landlord Law.
Since I closed my law firm down in September 2013 I no longer take on any case work – however, the whole point of Landlord Law is that it gives you the tools and information to do most things on your own – or with a bit of forum support.
More feedback from members:
First, here are some members speaking at our of our Landlord Law Conferences
“my tenants were full of praise for the clear, readable language of your AST.” GM, Landlord”
I became a subscriber of Landlord Law/Tessa Shepperson when my tenant went into arrears. The tenant arrears and eviction kits really helped me to understand what I should not do, what I needed to do and in what order and the document templates were really important in getting me started in the right way.
I could not have managed without this clear step by step process. It really did clear away the fog. It truly turned a daunting prospect into a manageable task.
But importantly I learned a lot more about being a landlord and the law during this whole process” Deryn Gray, Landlord
How to Join Landlord Law
There are two types of membership of Landlord Law;
- Access to all legal FAQ and articles
- Unlimited use of all tenancy agreements, letters and forms
- The Rent Arrears Action Plan
- Unlimited use of the question and answer ‘trails’
- Ask me questions in the members’ forum area
- Your membership will be upgraded to +Plus membership after 4 months continual membership
Select standard membership:
- All the standard membership benefits, plus
- The DIY Eviction Guide
- The videos
- Plus a free telephone advice call with me if you join as an annual member
Select +plus membershp
NB Note about payment
When you join this will set up a recurring payment via your credit / debit card (monthly, annually or every six months as appropriate) which will allow your membership to continue seamlessly. You can cancel this anytime you wish. +Plus members only can request payment on invoice but we we reserve the right to charge an admin fee of £10 to cover the additional work involved.
Our Guarantee to You
If you join and find that the service is not suitable for your needs, you can ask us to cancel your membership at any time within the first 30 days after payment and get a full refund.
(NB Only available to new members).
Take action now!
The way the private rented sector is developing, it is essential that landlords are fully aware of all their legal obligations and comply with all the rules. Failure to do this can result in problems with Local Authorities (who are increasingly bringing more prosecutions) and difficulties if you want to evict your tenant. Your ONLY real protection against these problems is to comply with the law at all times.
Now find out more about the two membership types below:
Standard Membership – £20 per month
This is a very popular membership type as it is so flexible. You can join for one month or forever! Cancelling is easy and you will be sent details as part of your new member welcome emails. Or if you forget and a payment goes out when you intended to cancel – let us know within 7 days of payment and we will cancel your payment and refund your membership for you (refunds after 7 days are at our discretion).
Standard membership includes most of the site content, including – after four months – the +plus membership content, as your membership will be upgraded at that time, free of charge. So after four months, as long as you keep up your payments, you will have +plus members access.
- Our most affordable membership type
- Free upgrade to +plus membership after 4 months
- Cancel at any time
Choose standard membership if you want to trial the service and do not want to commit for a long time. Of if you cannot afford the +plus membership fee.
+Plus Membership – £180 pa or £96 for six months
+Plus membership is more of an ‘up front commitment’ but long term you save money. As with the standard membership, you will be signed up to a recurring payment, but this can be cancelled at any time. Just email myself or my team and we will see to it – and your membership will continue for the rest of the period you have paid for.
As with the standard membership – we will cancel and refund payments if you forget to cancel and notify us within 7 days of the payment going out (refunds after this are at our discretion only).
The Annual +Plus membership is even more value as you get a free telephone advice call with me. You can take this any time during your membership period, and it can be about any landlord & tenant issue.
- Best value membership (particularly annual)
- Get access to all content immediately
- Free telephone advice call for +Plus members
Choose +plus membership if you want to use Landlord Law for long-term support and/or if you need to use the eviction guide immediately
Your website was a most valuable resource for all matters relating to our tenancies and the response time from yourself for any questions posted on the site was nothing short of heroic.
If anyone is reading this and considering whether or not to join up to Landlord Law, think no more, just get your hand in your pocket and you will not regret a penny of it. Richard Devlin, Landlord