To sign up for the Landlord Law Newsletter (and get a free guide)>> Click Here

Tag Archives: Deposit

How can I get my CCJ money from the tenants deposit?

Photo by images-of-moneyHere is a question to the blog clinic from James who is a landlord:

I am a landlord and after my tenant stopped paying rent I was forced to evict them. I received an Order for Possession from the Court and a money judgement against them and they left the property.

I don’t expect to get any of the rent arrears from them but when I asked my letting agent to pay me the tenant’s deposit I was told that only the tenant could authorise them to do so and that the money judgement did not specifically say that I could receive the deposit.

They have tried for months to reach the tenant but they seem to have disappeared. How should the landlord get the deposit in this case? The tenant has not claimed it and I am in limbo.

This situation can be a real problem – the DPS will not pay out the money to you against a Court Judgment unless the Court Order specifically says this.

But sometimes even when you ask the Judge to do this at the hearing they will refuse.

There is an answer, you will be pleased to hear.  It is a court enforcement procedure call a ‘third party debt order’.

This is a procedure where, if you are able to show the court that someone or an organisation owes money to or holds money for the Judgement Debtor (ie you), they will order that money to be paid to you, to satisfy (in whole or in part) your judgment.

It is usually used where the judgement creditor finds that the judgement debtor has a bank account which is in credit – but it could certainly be used in your situation.  You will have to pay out the court fee but this can be added on to the judgement debt.

You will find an explanation of the process in this pdf document provided by the Court Service >> here.

After Note – I have been contacted by a couple of people  saying that the DPS will pay being sent a statutory declaration.  Here is one message I have been sent:

if a tenant disappears leaving a debt of rent owing and cannot be contacted at all ie not leaving a forwarding address etc then all you have to do is get a statutory declaration signed by a solicitor (cost abt £5 ) send it to the DPS with a full explanation and they will release the money fully back to the agent. No problem we have as an agent done this successfully many times

Options for tenants made homeless by flooding


Tenants have been made homeless by floods – what are the options for them and can they recover their deposit?Continue Reading

Co-tenant share of the deposit paid to lead tenant


What can a tenant do when her share of the deposit is paid to the lead tenant who has no intention of paying it over to her?Continue Reading

Tenant deposit claim – is this an alternative to court proceedings?


Can the tenant get a solicitor to hold the keys pending return of the deposit as an alternative to bringing a claim via the courts?Continue Reading

Minister confirms that Superstrike goes against the intention of the deposit legislation


Government housing minister Mark Prisk confirms that Superstrike has caused tenancy deposit problems and that they are considering introducing new legislationContinue Reading

Landlord seeks advice on tenancy deposit / section 21 issues


A blog clinic question about deposits and s21 which will probably be relevant to a lot of landlords.Continue Reading

Guidance issued on the Superstrike case


Reporting on guidance given in the effect of the Superstrike v. Rodrigues case re tenancy deposits, issued by the tenancy deposit schemesContinue Reading

The Landlord Law Blog from Tessa Shepperson

Tessa is an English lawyer specialising in residential landlord and tenant law.

Legal Services

Legal services are provided via Tessa's online service Landlord Law. Some advice services are provided by Tessa, other legal services are provided by specialist housing firm Anthony Gold.


The purpose of this blog is to provide information, comment and discussion. Although Tessa, or guest bloggers, may from time to time, give helpful comments to readers' questions, these can only be based on the information given by the reader in his or her comment, which may not contain all material facts. Any comments or suggestions provided by Tessa or any guest bloggers should not therefore be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified lawyer regarding any actual legal issue or dispute.

Nothing on this website should be construed as legal advice or perceived as creating a solicitor-client relationship (apart from the Fast Track block clinic service - so far as the questioners only are concerned).

Guest bloggers

Please note that any opinion expressed by a guest blogger is his or hers alone, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Tessa Shepperson, or the other writers on this blog.

Other websites from Tessa

Lodger Landlord | School for Landlords | Google+ | Your Law Store | Google | Landlord Law facebook page | Tenancy Agreements Manual | How to Evict Your Tenant website | the Which Tenancy Agreement Guide | Landlords Tips | Tenants Tips