Welcome to the first of the Landlord Law Podcasts, or Landlord Law on the radio! You may remember that a couple of weeks ago I announced this, and asked you to submit questions for my first guest, Kevin Firth of the DPS.
The interview took place the other day and we had a long and wide ranging conversation, during which I was able to ask most of the questions sent to me.
For example the podcast covers:
- What landlords need to do if they want to use the DPS
- What tenants should do if they don’t think their deposit has been protected
- A discussion about the problems with enforcing the regulations against non compliant landlords
- The proposed Scottish tenancy deposit regulations
- Problems experienced by readers regarding the return of the deposit money, including the single claim process, loss of ID repayment codes, and lead tenants failing to co-operate
- A detailed look at preparing for adjudications, and the evidence required
- Problems with adjudications
The podcast lasts about 35 minutes and the file is 32MB.
My conversation with Kevin was about an hour long, and rather than waste the extra material this forms an extended version of the podcast which is available for Landlord Law members only. This covers in addition:
- Information about the DPS funding and payment of interest
- More discussion about the proposed new regulations
- Problems about tenants paying deposits by installments
- Protecting deposits late
- What happens when you make a mistake inputting instructions to the DPS
- More on adjudications and Kevin Firths plan to harmonise the procedure between the three schemes
Landlord Law members will find this here (make sure you are logged in!).
Huge thanks to Kevin Firth and his assistant Sarah for all their help with this – as it is my first podcast their assistance and co-operation was particuarly important, and I am very grateful to Sarah for helping me test out my software!
I hope you enjoy the podcast. Let me have your feedback.