- failing to properly manage the HMO,
- failing to comply with health and safety conditions on their HMO Licence and
- failing to provide information on 9 July 2012
This is what Reading BC found when they investigated after being called out by a resident:
- The property was found to be overcrowded, with 11 people found to be living at the property instead of the permitted 7.
- The fire alarm system was not working, and other fire safety provisions such as fire doors, emergency lights were not being maintained.
- Fire safety notices were incorrectly positioned and did not direct occupiers to exit via a safe route.
- An internal shower room extractor fan was not working and electrical wires were exposed.
- The investigation also found that the shower and the toilet in the top floor shower room blocked up due to a failed macerator unit resulting in foul water filling up both the shower tray and toilet and leaking through to the ceiling below and landing on the banister to the communal stairs/hallway below.
The bigget fine of £20,000 was meted out to the agents, Jarvis Properties, with the landlord just being fined £500 plus costs of £200 and a victim surcharge of £15.
So remember, if you are the manager of an HMO property – its YOU that is going to get fined if the property is found to be in breach of regulations.