We have had some great new Landlord Law exhibitors sign up recently for the Conference and I am going to be doing a few interviews with them.
The first is an interview with Joanna White, director of Property Principles.
1 Please introduce yourself and your company briefly
Property Principles Ltd is a company set up by me. I have been an Inventory consultant for twenty six years. I am a member of the APIP board and I also worked as an independent adjudicator with TDS Ltd for several years.
2 What service do you offer to landlords and/or letting agents
The company’s aim is to help deal with issues concerning tenancy deposit disputes.
As one of the main areas of dispute – up to 58% – is about cleaning, we have had a film made, with accompanying pdf booklet, that shows the standard of cleanliness that is required in a rental property.
This film is for tenants, so that they can see the standard of cleanliness required when they vacate a property but is also essential for landlords, agents, cleaning companies and inventory providers, so that they can also make sure that this standard is maintained throughout the letting life of a property.
3. How will your service benefit landlords / letting agents?
The benefits of following a set standard are huge for all:
- Agents will have to deal with far fewer deposit disputes.
- Tenants can easily see how cleaning to a professional standard will mean that if this is observed, there should be no deductions from their deposit, concerning cleaning.
- Landlords will be able to see the level of cleanliness that is required when they first rent out a property and will then be assured that it will be kept to this standard for each let.
- Cleaning companies or individuals will know the standard that is expected.
- Inventory providers will know exactly what the standard has to be both at check in and check out.
4. Tell us one interesting fact related to your service
Based on 2014/15 figures shown in the annual report from TDS Ltd, the amounts of money being disputed, just related to cleaning, are astonishing:
1,135,769 deposits were protected by TDS Ltd alone. (As My Deposits and Deposit Protection Services also have large portfolios, this figure and those below, can be almost tripled).This amounted to £1,341,343,189. It adjudicated 11,900 disputes and the average amount in dispute was £831.00.
58% of disputes involved cleaning, at an average of £220.00, i.e. £1,518,440.00 x 3 = £4,555,320.00 was at risk for allegedly inadequate cleaning.
Our ‘Clean Up’ film is hoped to be the first of a set and our next projects will be gardening and decor/fair wear and tear.
5. Do you have any tips for landlords / agents?
My essential tip for landlords and tenants is: ‘If you are not sure about what the cleaning standard is; watch our film, ASK for advice, keep invoices and, get everything in writing’.
6 Will you have any special offer for Landlord Law Conference delegates?
Attendees at the landlord law conference will be given a free toothbrush when they visit our stall! This will give the attendees a chance to see our film and, have explained why I firmly believe all good cleaners should have a toothbrush in their cleaning kit!
Toothbrushes eh? Well, well. But all will be revealed to Conference delegates. To find out more about Joanna’s firm and the clean up films, click here.
To find out more about the Landlord Law conference and book your place click here.