I have been feeling ashamed of myself recently. I have been worried about climate change for years but didn’t think I could do anything about it.
Who am I anyway? Just a woman from Norwich who runs a website.
Then up comes a 16-year-old schoolgirl from Sweden and gets everyone going. Why didn’t I do something like that? Why are we all sleepwalking into disaster when we could be saving ourselves?
And what are YOU doing?
Landlords can help
If we are to save ourselves before it is too late we need to cut emissions and domestic properties are one cause of this. As landlords own many properties, it follows that landlords could, if they took action, do a lot to cut emissions from their properties.
So what could you do? Here are some suggestions:
- Fit double glazed windows wherever you can
- Make sure that all lofts and other relevant spaces are insulated
- Do whatever else it takes to ensure that your properties are energy efficient – your EPC will have suggestions
- Band together with other landlords to save costs or agitate to get deals via landlords associations
Then why not try to help your tenants to do what they can?
- Encourage them to use bicycles rather than cars by providing places where they can be stored safely
- Tell them about milk delivery systems so they can get milk in recyclable glass bottles rather than plastic
- Provide a place where they can dry clothes outside
But what are YOUR suggestions?
Please, put your suggestions and tips in the comments below. I will do what I can to promote them.
We do, after all, only have the one planet.